Educational Resources

That career change you’re looking for is probably a lot closer than you imagine. You might be afraid that the insurance profession requires advanced skills, some special knowledge.

Well, you’re right. It does. But what you might not know is that there are training programs to assist you.

Ohio colleges, universities and community colleges are adding training and degree programs to help meet the growing demand for skilled insurance professionals. Whether you need just a few course offerings to earn a certification, or a new college degree, the course offerings have never been more convenient or affordable. 

Put a New Shine on Your Professional Skills

How much training you need depends on what field of insurance you are targeting, and if you have the required skills. To gauge your interests and skills, consider taking the Insuring Ohio Futures Career Survey (INSERT SURVEY LINK).

A certification might be the best match for you. After years in the workforce, you might want to earn a certification so you can begin work right away. If not, a two- or four-year degree could be more suited if you have the time and desire to move up in an organization or work in a highly specialized field of the insurance business.

The best news is that you have choices you can make.

Certification or Degree. . .

Certification: If you have the skills and background to match your desired career path, you might qualify for a professional certification that will tell a potential employer you have the necessary skills. Certifications can be obtained through programs at Ohio community colleges, as well as accredited insurance industry resources.

Clark State Community College offers a certification as part of its Property Insurance Claims Department Certificate  program, which prepares students for taking the industry accreditation exams.

Columbus State Community College will launch its insurance certification and associate degree program later in 2013.

Another option is The Institutes, which administers the education and certification classes in Ohio for the American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters and the Insurance Institute of America. The Institutes offer a variety of certificates and designations that can enhance your resume as you target opportunities in the insurance industry.

Degree:  A more traditional approach would be a two- or four-year degree program at one of the Ohio colleges or universities.

At this time three schools in Ohio offer insurance degrees. Kent State University offers a bachelor’s degree in Insurance Studies , Clark State Community College offers an associate of an Applied Business degree in Insurance and The Ohio State University’s Fisher College of Business offers a specialization in Insurance and Risk Management.

As part of the Insuring Ohio Futures initiative, additional insurance programs are launching in Ohio this year. In central Ohio, Columbus State Community College and Franklin University are slated to begin offering insurance degrees in the fall of 2013.

In Cincinnati, a $5 million gift launched the Carl H. Lindner III Center for Insurance and Risk Management at the University of Cincinnati. The curriculum will be launched in the fall of 2013.

Additional educational opportunities exist for those interested in actuarial sciences. Twelve Ohio colleges and universities offer undergraduate actuarial programs with two offering graduate programs. 

Associate Degree

Clark State Community College

Columbus State Community College – Coming fall of 2013

Bachelor Degree

Kent State University

The Ohio State University

Franklin University – Coming fall of 2013

University of Cincinnati – Coming fall of 2013

Actuarial Science Programs

Baldwin-Wallace University

Bowling Green State University (undergraduate & graduate)

Case Western Reserve University

Kent State University

Miami University

Ohio University

Otterbein University

The Ohio State University

University of Akron

University of Cincinnati

University of Toledo

Xavier University

Youngstown State University (undergraduate & graduate)

Campus Contacts

Questions? Call the admissions office at the college or university and ask to speak to someone with the insurance program.

Additional Financial Aid

The insurance industry and higher education are partnering to groom the next generation of insurance professionals. There are a number of scholarships that are available from companies and trade organizations in insurance. Check out some of the programs on this link for Scholarships that Work.