Educational Resources

Qualify for Further Education Through the GI Bill

If you’re a veteran weighing your options for going back to school under the GI Bill, you’ll want to verify which GI Bill (Post 9/11, Montgomery GI Bill, etc.) you are qualified to receive. Two resources that will help you sort through the plans are the Department of Veteran Affairs GI Bill website or your Ohio County Veterans Services office.

And be sure to check out's College Guide for Servicemembers and Veterans.

Consider a Career in Insurance

With the expected growth of the insurance industry during the next decade, now is a great time to earn a degree in insurance. Insurance companies are looking for people with the skills you developed while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Take the Insurance Career Survey to see what career path best aligns with your interests and skills. 

Insurance Education Programs in Ohio

In addition, Ohio colleges are launching insurance degree programs as a way to meet the growing need for the next generation of insurance professionals. Click here Ohio academic institutions that offer insurance education programs.

You have the support of the GI Bill, you decided on a career in insurance. Now what? The next step is to determine the level of education you need.

After years in the military, you might want to get back to the civilian workforce and start work now. In that case, a certification might be the best match for you. If not, a two- to four-year degree could be more suited if you have the time and desire to move up in an organization or work in a highly specialized field of the insurance business. 

Certification: If you have the skills and background to match your desired career path, you might qualify for a professional certification that will tell a potential employer you have the necessary skills. Certifications can be obtained through programs at Ohio community colleges, as well as through accredited insurance industry resources.

Click here to learn more about Ohio certification programs. 

Degree:  A more traditional approach would be a two- or four-year degree program at one of the Ohio colleges or universities. 

Click here to explore Ohio colleges and universities that offer specialized insurance degrees.